Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday

EL TOPO (1970)

Known as the first "midnight movie" this is probably enjoyed best while on acid. However, if you're not a recreational drug user, an unstructured trippy movie should at least hit you with constantly bizarre images that are all the more wild because you have no past cinematic context to understand them, and this movie has those in spades. David Lynch marvels at that too, but this nightmare of a movie disturbs in different ways.

DIRTY WORK (1998)

Talking about the succesfull delivery of mediocre to irritating comic material, I don't think any single comedian cracks me up just by being present and saying stuff than Norm MacDonald, possibly because his presence on the pop culture landscape in not very ubiquitous. So I didn't see his major full length until now, when it popped up on Comcast Demand, and its hilarity is the sole result of him being in this movie. Directed by Bob Saget, oddly enough. So many dead hookers!

EXTRACT (2009)

Finally, I see a Mike Judge film when it is first released! For the record, when I first rented Idiocracy I was so fascinated that I watched it for the second time the very next day, something I NEVER do. This is very calm, no major social commentaries or really deep satire, but still full of eccentric characters and Jason Bateman to just perfectly play it straight. I wish there were more weirdos like in Office Space, but the nosy neighbor played by David Koetchner nearly makes up for any limitations in the movie.

No comments: