Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuesday Post With No Name

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1964)

The free cable movie on-demand movie selection had been bad for a while, so what a nice surprise, the morning after my Saturday trip to Lollapalooza in Chicago, to the first of Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name trilogy available. Perfect timing too, as I was ready to jump into this trilogy very soon via Netflix.

This was a pretty direct remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which was one of the first movies I saw on my new HDTV upon purchase! And it was odd how something that has some of the exact same scenes translated into a Western setting (with guns instead of samurai swords) was still riveting due to filmmaking and acting quality.

I can tell why these films are legendary... they are confidently cool and very influential. I can't wait to see that next two. Given that On-Demand offered the three films of the Pusher trilogy in quick succession, I'm hoping I'll see A Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly soon.

No comments: