Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekly Update (Tuesday/Wednesday) whatever

JAWS (1975)

The legendary film which I never saw all the way through, and for free (ignoring cable fees) on HD On Demand!

As good as I expected. If every blockbuster was like this I wouldn't be a film snob. Some refreshing surprises... the naturalistic dialogue more appropriate for a Robert Altman film... the fleshed out characters that you want to spend time with and make up for the very rare appearances of the actual shark... and the drawn out final act with a monologue from Quint that puts all monster movies that go for cheap thrills into perspective.

Thinking about what this movie would be like with CGI sickens me.

Steve Speilberg... I should check this director out (sorry).

THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY (2006)

This was not on any special must-see list of mine... it only has sat on my Netflix Instant list for a long time (#30 out of #245 or so). It did win the Cannes Palme d'Or and covered an interesting subject area...

Very realistic depiction of a brutality I wasn't that familiar with, as far as the way British soldiers treated the Irish post World War I. What was devastating about this particular movie was how it matter-of-factly presents the differences and debate that led to the bloody religious political divisions that plagued Ireland for the next 60+ years. It reminded me of a less artsy expression of the seeds of conflict than The White Ribbon cryptically presented upon my viewing of it a few months ago. Very good, very sad, but very real.

Let's see what other Palme d'Or (the top award at Cannes) have I seen...

The White Ribbon (2009)
Farenheit 9-11 (2004)
The Pianist (2002)
Dancer in the Dark (2000)
Secrets & Lies (1996)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
The Mission (1986)
Taxi Driver (1976)

No comments: