Tuesday, March 15, 2011

TREELESS MOUNTAIN

TREELESS MOUNTAIN 2008

This was a WIFF selection from 2009, and it's availability on Netflix Instant expired this week. I actually remember this being a close candidate for my viewing schedule that festival weekend. I'm sort of glad I didn't watch it.

The one unique aspect of this is the perspective the director uses on keeping every scene in this movie focused on how these adorable little Korean girls deal with obstacles. Otherwise it's a very unfocused film. A narrative is definitely present but I think indie films start to reveal their faults when you start to think that it could very easily be a powerful short film (between 20-40 minutes) instead of feature length. Unlike other uniquely ambiguous endings, this one just seemed to stop.

I know that perhaps I'm too adjusted to Korean films being ultra-violent and/or morally disturbing masterpieces, but this was not that compelling.

In news of WIFF for 2011, I received 10 film festival tickets for the first weekend in April! By no means do I want the protests in Madison to subside in order cater to my film festival needs, but I am curious about how I'm going to get from place to place. Not to spoil anything there are two WIFF 2010 films remaining in my top four films of 2010, and it would probably be appropriate to wrap that countdown up before the end of the first quarter. Stay tuned.

No comments: