Monday, April 11, 2011

#2 FILM OF 2010

TERRIBLY HAPPY


Can a film be perfectly executed, yet not really be about some larger theme, and remain one of my favorite film experiences of the year? That's the question that comes to mind when I decided that I thoroughly enjoyed this Danish neo-noir, the final film of my run of excellent cinema that I viewed at the Wisconsin Film Festival last year. Ultimately, I determined that the much highly regarded, and much wider released, acclaimed films (even the quirky ones like Scott Pilgrim) had just enough shortcomings to be placed a slight notch below this strange and more obscure treasure. It's probably this film's own unique scope and viewing setting (Madison's Orpheum theatre) that gave it those special qualities that it might otherwise lack if I saw it at the local multiplex.

What can I tell you about how it exactly affected me? Well, I had been familiar with Danish cinema for a while, seeing a few selections at previous WIFFs, along with Lars Von Trier films, so I was expected something bleak. But I hadn't seen a Danish film with quite the sensibility as this. There were twisted David Lynchian elements, but the weirdness served the setting. There was a distinct droll atmosphere but incredible suspense. It was expressed with the perfect mix of style and substance, the combination that pretty much defines why Coen brothers movies are so magnificent.

Right now, I'm shaking off the disappointment of this past year's WIFF. While every movie had something unique, they came up short because there were parts that didn't gel together, that reminded the viewer that while what you are seeing is no doubt quality work, it's a little rough around the edges. Those imperfections no doubt took me out of the film watching experience (that and massive film fest fatigue). In contrast, it has been over a year since I saw Terribly Happy (available right now on Netflix Instant!) yet I distinctly remember being compelled from beginning to end. As my 2010 film fest capstone it had a sly attitude (and a film fest audience that was in on the joke) and it was the perfect balance between the type of filmmaking that is mischievous, the types that are charged with a grab bag of odd characters, and the types that are just beautiful to watch. The movie didn't really offer anything profound about the universal human condition, other than the ability of movies to truly surprise and satisfy you by telling stories in a distinct ireplicable way.

#1... what is it???? Maybe I'll over my 2011 WIFF films first. who knows?

No comments: