Tuesday, May 3, 2011

AUGUST EVENING

AUGUST EVENING (2007)

A 2008 WIFF selection...

Just I was starting to think that my 2011 WIFF experience was so disappointing that indie/foreign/artsy films were starting to wear me down, I pick up this selection from the program of my first film fest experience in 2008 and am very pleased. Mind you, there's nothing spectacular or epic in this film, and probably as months and years go by, memories of this movie will be replaced by the top-notch memorable cinema from any background that catches anyone's attention.

But this understated film is patient, puts you in a unique setting, and provides well-rounded engaging characters acting in normal human ways. The film is over two hours, but it is only until the very end that it drags just a teeny bit. Otherwise, August Evening is skillfully made, unique, and completely worthy of my time.

More news from WIFF 2011 shortly...

No comments: