Saturday, August 10, 2013

CATCHING UP 

This is going to be one of the saddest posts around, as a representation about my general neglect for my idealistic mission to focus my writing through personalized film criticism.  But consider this a way for me to clear the air and start fresh with whatever I'd like to do regarding this form of expression.

My last top ten film essay was over my #2 selection Win Win, and that was actually recalling my top 10 of the PREVIOUS YEAR.  I have a whole set of top ten films seen in 2012 that I haven't shared yet.

Needless to say, my #1 film seen in 2011.

SUPER 8

A seamless blend of modern sci fi suspense and the cleaner fantasy of the 80s film adventures (like E.T.) that really hit the sweet spot.

Plenty of time to think about a long form essay on that movie (especially since I need to see it a second time to reevaulate).

Now, the top 10 of 2012.

#10  GENERATION ME

Seen at the San Antonio film festival, a real low-budget honest film.  Not perfect, but the characters are so organic and funny, just hanging around Austin,  that it feels very close.  I become facebook friends with the filmmaker afterwards and have been following the production of her next film through her posts, creating a really unique connection with a filmmaker that makes me admire indie films even more. 

#9  KILLER JOE

First time ever seeing a film adaption of a play I had previously seen in a theater.  Completely engaging to see how the different mediums translated, and the choices made by the writer and director to enhance the plot for the moving pictures medium.

#8 MOURNING

Seen at the art museum as part of their Global Lens series.  Iranian films always feel a little different and expose you to new cultures and emotional sensitivities.  Almost always shaken by the movies from that country and impressed with their style, and this film is no exception.

#7  THE MASTER

Challenging to understand what Paul Thomas Anderson was going for here, but it just makes me want to see it again.  Great intense performances throughout.

#6  THE AVENGERS

A invigorating and tight adventure.  Every hero gets some powerful screen time and interesting interactions with other characters.  So much fun that I just will immediately go to see any marvel movie from now on.

#5  SKYFALL

Action franchises continued to completely exceed expectations.  Beautiful settings, disturbing dark undertones, all grounded in the patience punched plotting you would expect from 007 movies.

#4  CABIN IN THE WOODS 

 Completely sublime movie watching experience.  Subversive and full on inside jokes.  Had to be careful not to let my inner film snob take control.. it's a scary and entertaining movie on its own.  But I had this great feeling that I was enjoying the movie even more because I "got it" in a deeper way than someone who would blindly cash out for a first weekend showing of Saw 7 or Final Destination 6 without looking for something more clever beyond the familiar gore.

#3 TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY

Gary Oldman gives such a bone dry performance that the level headedness he adopts in the most intense situations of global consequences provides more suspense that 1000 explosions.  The tone of percolating betrayal and sinisterism is maintained throughout the movie through direction, plotting, and acting.

#2  MOONRISE KINGDOM  

Wes Anderson writer/director in a pure form that is still evolving. Exciting, quirky, touching.  Hard to not make it #1.

#1  LOOPER 

Rian Johnson's film debut from a few years ago was so fascinating and fully realized in form and style, that I was secretly hoping that as a filmmaker he would continue to grow and inspire.  Looper is INTELLIGENT science fiction with such a full atmosphere that was completely satisfying.  Yeah, it's a genre picture but if Johnson can dump this much care into an original idea... not tied to some comic book or other franchise... I'm ready to follow him wherever.









No comments: