Tuesday, December 1, 2009

MORE TUESDAY MOVIES

I'd better right this up before I forget!

PUSHER III

And i wrap up a very interesting film trilogy... very good, invigorating experience. Each movie went in unpredictable directions, the first of them being the characters each movie decides to focus on. I would say #2 has the slight edge over the 3.

RED CLIFF I and RED CLIFF II

This is an unprecedented treat. My friend was on a summer teaching trip to China and brought back this two-part movie epic back to the States in pirated form (shhhhhhhhhh). It's just been given a limited release here. And it's pretty incredible. An epic movie with exciting battle scenes, morally complex characters, and a sequencing of events that never has you tapping your foot, waiting for the exciting parts, whether they be quiet character development or intricate ware strategies being played out before your eyes.

REDBELT

The latest slick talking Mamet experience. I love listening to these well crated words, especially if it serves a sharp story.

WATER LILIES

It will be a futile task, but I will try to see as many films that were screened at the last two Wisconsin Film Festivals as I can... and thanks to the Netflix Instant Watching capability through my PS3, it's all the easier, time and commitment being my only enemy. This is an understated French film exploring female adolescence and sexuality. Unique and modern, a real film festival film in that it's an interesting exercise to expose yourself to, but nothing too earth-shattering.

No comments: