Thursday, March 25, 2010

And some movies a day late

THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS (2001)

I was trying to remember why this was on my Netflix list... and it was from The Av Club's 19 Terrific Midnight Movies from the last 10 years list. Takashi Miike has made a few well-known cult horror films, and he also made a cameo appearance in Hostel. His extremely weird movie Gozu was actually one of the first random extremely obscure movies I chose to test the ability of my Netflix account to find any film out there for me to see. AV Club described Happiness as less inscrutable than most of his films... even calling it "brisk" and "bright" and there was an overall interesting film concept that sounded very intriguing, based on the idea that some of the horrifying moments were down in either claymation or live-action musical form. Well, it turned out to be as close to as weird and incomprehensible as anything an eccentric director would make. At a certain point late at night it's just hard to stay up to watch one incomprehsible albeit visually striking scene after another. So I had to split this movie up over two days. Absolutely out there, so an adventure for any film watcher.


A selection from the WIFF 2009 available on Netflix instant, that was strongly recommended by my Madison friends as hilarious. And it's very amusing, containing actors recognizable from Almodovar films. This is a genre the WIFF program listed as a "Spanish sex comedy", and I think it's distinctive features for me are a wide emotional spectrum from serious to slapstick, not a terrible focus on narrative, and a light-heartedness that might be more appropriate for an episode of a sitcom.

No comments: