Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One relevant movie

how appropriate that I had this out on Netflix over Oscar weekend!

THE HURT LOCKER (2009)

I'm going to defer a longer commentary on Oscar-caliber movies another time. I'll just say this was solid and interestingly filmed, but lacked the heft of anything I would consider a cinematic masterpiece. Whether the Oscars actually designate cinematic masterpieces is, again, another discussion.

I rewarded myself for a super top secret life improvement project tonight by watching a Comcast On Demand of all the Oscar nominated live action short films of last year. They were all excellent. Auf Der Strecke (On the Line) which didn't win the award taps into such an emotional range in a half hour with such a level power that feature lengths only dream of reaching.

No comments: