Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY

Only a week ago since the Oscar nominations were announced!

And here's my tally of what I have seen so far of the nominees

BEST PICTURE - 3/9
BEST ACTOR - 2/5
BEST ACTRESS - NONE
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - NONE
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - NONE
BEST DIRECTOR - 3/5
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY - NONE
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY - 3/5

So some serious watching to do, but I am glad I am two away from a complete directors and adapted screenplays set... and the remaining movies are actually things I want to see!

TINKER TAYLOR SOLDIER SPY (2011)

I realized that seeing a classic spy movie in a theater is a rather rare occurrence for me. Other than James Bond the last time I remember an espionage movie being so powerful was Munich. This one was incredibly quiet and very dry, and required patience and attentiveness to appreciate. Being held complacent by the drab seventies cold war setting made the artistic hiccups of brutal violence very striking. Gary Oldman was so amazing. Hard to imagine this is the same guy as Zorg in The Fifth Element and good old American Commission Gordon in the recent Batman movies. I wish I made a point to see more of his performances because he completely sinks into a character. His head spy role here is so poised, that again those little hiccups of emotional expression are amazing to see as an example of the razor's edge of composure he is required to keep in order to do his job.

No comments: