Tuesday, January 10, 2012

TINY FURNITURE / MIAMI BLUES / SPECIAL WHEN LIT

IT'S COMING.... MY 2011 FILM IN REVIEW! Can't wait... or I probably will.

Anyway, this is the first film log entry of 2012... wrapping up what I watched on my holiday break.

TINY FURNITURE (2010)

"I just got off a plane from Ohio. I am in a post-graduate delirium."

Criterion #597

Watched via Sundance Free On Demand

I vaguely heard of this movie when it was listed as playing at the great Music Box Theatre in Chicago. I dismissed it when it popped on as one of the free on-demand offerings but then it got the upcoming Criterion blessing so it became a viable movie watching option.

Pretty quirky and honest... and it is once again refreshing to hear people talk like normal 20 somethings. The honesty is understandable once I found out that the writer-director-star's real sister and mother played the character's sister and mother, and the bohemian Manhattan house that the movie was shot at was also the actual family home. Didn't like the ambiguous abrupt ending though which didn't seem to symbolize anything for me.

MIAMI BLUES (1990)

New Cult Canon

"Where IS the whipping cream?"

Watched via Movieplex HD on Demand

One of the very first entries in AV Club's New Cult Canon feature, this was also not on the top of my list, because... well, a movie from 1990 with Alec Baldwin as some kind of criminal seems like it would just look soooo dated. But it was all right. The feeling I get from most of these almost great cult movies is that there are really weird engaging completely unique moments at a pretty good clip, but they are often interspersed with scenes that can remind you how much time you're wasting. It was a great performance to watch though, and I can understand it's charm.

SPECIAL WHEN LIT (2009)


WIFF selection

Watched via Hulu Plus

A documentary from a previous Wisconsin Film Festival available via my new Hulu account... that ISN'T available via Netflix. Music to my movie-accessing ears/eyes/whatever. Not bad... gets a little fragmented at times, but a nice window into the weird world of pinball fans. A nice looking film too... it reminded me of how neat pinball machine art is, but also how confusing all those pinball bonuses could be. Also a reminder that Chicago is the historic pinball capitol of the world.... I can't believe I haven't taken advantage of that fact in my time in Illinois!

No comments: