Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Ten: 2009 Movies

It's time to lock in my votes and call it the most intense movie-watching year of my life. There was some last minute shuffling (including a demotion of my #1) but these are the best movies I saw in theaters in 2009, including one that was released in 2009 but which I saw at home. This year I think I can say that there really wasn't any completely sweeping film that hit all the notes of perfection that I look for in a movie. I don't think that means it was a bad movie year for me. Because even though I haven't yet finished my series of essays on film snobbery, the entries I have written convince me that I am perceiving movies on a different plane than perhaps a casual viewer. What I mean by that is there is a quality movie, and a movie that is mesmerizing because of the incredible way in builds and turns expectations in the niche genre it decides to present itself in. My favorite movies are exciting not just because they are very very good, but because their expression dances in areas outside of traditional film expression and taps into my appreciation for other types of art, or parallels a little bit of a subversive attitude I personally adopt towards some of life's complexities. Does it take me out of an ideal movie-watching experience when these films do this? Sometimes... but like my favorite musician Frank Zappa exemplifies in his sounds and lyrics, sometimes the best way to fully enjoy something is to have half yourself in sublime escapism, and the rest in the messy emotions and crudeness of the real world.

I'll begin this a little later...

No comments: