Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tues. Movies...

SHERLOCK HOLMES (2009)

CHUNGKING EXPRESS (1994)

Well, I've done it again... I've listened to an entire commentary track of a movie. This time because I was frustrated and compelled by this movie's placing on Time's 100 greatest list.

I had a feeling, that just like with L'Avventura, I was missing something in a unique film language.

Although the commentary track didn't live up to L'Avventura's 'best ever' commentary track as said by a critic, it did help me understand it more. In the case of L'Avventura's metonymic filmmaking, the film images served as actual commentary on emotions of the characters. In the case of Wong Kar-Wai's style (I was also equally initially frustrated by his two other films I've seen... In the Mood for Love and 2046), the film style serves to capture moments and unfulfilled potentials that are part of many courtships and relationship pursuits... but nonetheless can never be articulated in any poetic way through words or blatant romanticisms. Not an easy film to take in, but the wide pallete of real-life sentiments people feel when their caught up in love isn't very easy to summarize by a long shot.

No comments: